EPW058005 ENGLAND (1938). The Castle, Dee Bridge and the town, Chester, 1938. This image has been produced from a damaged negative.

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2020. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (15)

EPW058005
  0° 0m
EPW036916
  225° 54m
EAW013773
  292° 68m
EPW029882
  259° 70m
EAW013775
  212° 80m
EPW003087
  264° 100m
EPW003088
  28° 109m
EPW004002
  78° 118m
EPW004001
  265° 140m
EPW003092
  252° 141m
EPW058008
  315° 173m
EAW013774
  279° 189m
EPW058012
  110° 208m
EPW058003
  44° 219m
EPW003098
  87° 247m

Details

Title [EPW058005] The Castle, Dee Bridge and the town, Chester, 1938. This image has been produced from a damaged negative.
Reference EPW058005
Date 18-July-1938
Link
Place name CHESTER
Parish CHESTER CASTLE
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 340538, 365820
Longitude / Latitude -2.8899547605837, 53.18586028031
National Grid Reference SJ405658

Pins

Edgars Field. There are reports of a shrine to Minerva (well weathered) in this area.

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 08:48:54 PM

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 08:47:49 PM
Nun's Road - the Racecourse (the Roodee) is to the left.

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 07:12:19 PM
Nicholas Street

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 07:11:27 PM

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 07:10:20 PM
Chester Northgate Station, closed October 1969, had two platforms and served trains from Manchester, Birkenhead and North Wales. These services transferred to Chester General Station.

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 07:07:01 PM

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 07:03:25 PM
Chester Cathedral, with the Nave to the left, the Choir and Lady Chapel to the right. Central is the large South Transept with the South door.

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 07:02:45 PM
St Michaels Church, now a museum as Chester History and Heritage Centre. On the site of an earlier church. Almost completely rebuilt 1582, widened 1678, steeple built 1710. Usual 19th century major rebuilding about 1850 although the 1496 chancel roof remains. Declared redundant in 1972. The "Bridge Street Row" passes through the lower level of the tower.

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 07:01:44 PM
Old Dee Bridge, built 1354, restored 1374. Once fitted with a drawbridge to deter Welsh raiders.

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 07:00:08 PM
Chester Weir dates back to 1093

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 06:59:47 PM
Chester Castle, originally a motte and bailey form of defence. The site is now used as a Crown Court and by the University of Chester. The entry from the road at the top part here is through a structure called the Propylaeum which as with the other buildings was built between 1780 and 1820. The entrance leads directly through the yard to the Shire Hall (now Crown Court). On the right in this image is the former barracks, now a military museum. Towards the left is a square tower, the Agricola Tower (12th C) - the chapel was reconsecrated in 1925 and is a regimental chapel (Chapel of St Mary de Castro).

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 06:59:21 PM
Agricola Tower (12th C)

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 06:58:47 PM
Church of St Mary-on-the-Hill, Chester, redundant in 1970's. Now an educational centre. Built in the 14th/15th centuries to serve the Castle, rebuilt 1693, and "restored" in the 19th Century. The furnishings have all been removed but many memorials remain.

totoro
Saturday 15th of June 2013 06:58:16 PM

User Comment Contributions

St. Michael's Church, Bridge Street, Chester, 18/07/2015

Class31
Friday 7th of August 2015 08:25:09 AM