EPW046725 ENGLAND (1935). St Mary's Church, John Dickinson & Co. Paper Mills and environs, Apsley, 1935

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2024. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (48)

EPW046725
  0° 0m
EPW031517
  276° 19m
EPW016002
  34° 33m
EPW031597
  143° 33m
EPW022460
  6° 38m
EPW016000
  272° 52m
EPW015687
  58° 53m
EPW031604
  172° 57m
EPW031458
  97° 65m
EPW031515
  348° 83m
EPW001249
  52° 85m
EPW016003
  79° 89m
EPW048254
  80° 92m
EPW048261
  47° 95m
EPW015681
  64° 98m
EPW031461
  101° 106m
EPW015689
  112° 123m
EPW048257
  78° 123m
EAW022320
  39° 129m
EPW048260
  82° 130m
EPW052863
  327° 137m
EPW060992
  83° 139m
EPW015683
  118° 145m
EPW001248
  70° 147m
EPW025948
  2° 147m
EPW048251
  84° 156m
EPW048262
  96° 157m
EPW046724
  32° 160m
EAW022325
  106° 165m
EPW001247
  118° 169m
EPR000169
  329° 175m
EPW048258
  303° 176m
EPW031459
  65° 178m
EPW015682
  82° 179m
EAW022316
  321° 185m
EPW048259
  80° 185m
EPW031520
  128° 186m
EPR000483
  307° 190m
EPW019228
  66° 192m
EPW048252
  286° 201m
EPR000400
  325° 211m
EPW015686
  65° 219m
EPW031596
  44° 219m
EPR000484
  307° 223m
EPW031521
  137° 231m
EAW022323
  340° 243m
EPR000485
  313° 250m
EAW022322
  292° 269m

Details

Title [EPW046725] St Mary's Church, John Dickinson & Co. Paper Mills and environs, Apsley, 1935
Reference EPW046725
Date March-1935
Link
Place name APSLEY
Parish
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 506122, 205030
Longitude / Latitude -0.46309038965751, 51.733466630378
National Grid Reference TL061050

Pins


totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:59:44 PM
Railway - LMS/LMR now West Coast Main Line

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:57:35 PM
1871 - St. Mary's Church at Apsley End was opened for public worship; its construction was funded by Charles Longman (a senior partner in John Dickinson’s paper mills)

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:56:05 PM
Grand Junction Canal 1798 -later Grand Union Canal

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:54:37 PM
John Dickinson & Co John Dickinson (1782-1869): Inventor, engineer, architect, builder, manager and financier, John Dickinson spent more than 60 years in the trade. 1797 John Dickinson was almost 15 when he was apprenticed to stationers Thomas Harrison of Leadenhall Street, London. 1804 John Dickinson set up as a stationer in the City of London at Walbrook 1807-1847 He applied for 14 patents relating to paper. 1809 He developed a patent process for machine-made paper utilising an ‘endless web’ which was an ingenious perforated cylinder of metal with a finely woven wire covering. This revolved in a vat filled with pulp and produced a continuous sheet of paper. From this time right up to 1855 he took out dozens of patents. 1809-1830 Rapid expansion, as John Dickinson first bought '''Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead (1809)''', followed by Nash Mills (1811). He then built Home Park Mills near King's Langley (1825) and finally bought Croxley Mill near Watford (1830). He also established "half-stuff" mills at Batchworth and Manchester. He invented a new kind of paper for cannon cartridges. This type of paper did not smoulder after the cannon had fired, which had been the cause of constant accidental explosions in the artillery. Until his time, paper was produced using rag and esparto, instead of the now conventional wood pulp. Dickinson patented his invention, and it was taken up by the army. It was said to have been of great value in the battles against Napoleon, increasing the British firing rate while simultaneously reducing premature firing accidents. 1809 - Dickinson entered the business of paper manufacture when he acquired his first mill (a converted old corn mill) in the valley of the River Gade in Hertfordshire. He had bought paper from George Stafford of Apsley Mill, Hemel Hempstead and purchased Stafford's mill in 1809. 1813 - a bad fire destroyed nearly all the mill 1830 - a gang of machine makers from the 'Swing Riots' marched upon the mills on the Gade Valley, but turned back when confronted with Dickinsons hurriedly gathered defence force. 1850 Mechanical envelope manufacture started at John Dickinson, producing its first gummed envelopes. 1869 John Dickinson died. By 1876 his company was producing 3 million envelopes per week. 1910 Lion Brand adopted as the company logo; 1918 Millington and Sons acquired, originators of Basildon Bond. Brand established 1911 1929 John Dickinson pioneered production of window envelopes. 1937 John Dickinson pioneered production of Latex Seal Easi envelopes 1951 Production of Continuous Stationery established at '''Apsley''' 1963 New 250,000 sq ft stationery factory opened at '''Apsley''' 1992 Acquired by Bowater 1999 The company left '''Apsley Mills''' and relocated to Cambridgeshire. The former '''Apsley Mill''' site in Hemel Hempstead is home to the Paper Trail, a museum which incorporates a narrowboat ride along the Grand Union Canal and the River Gade to Frogmore Mill, viewing of a working paper machine, producing recycled board and paper, as well as handmade paper making and paper sculpture. The Frogmore Mill exhibits are also open for direct visits. Sources: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co http://johnevans.ashmolean.org/evans/dickinsons.html wikipedia - [[John Dickinson (inventor)]] and [[John Dickinson Stationery]] Further reading- the book by Joan Evans, "The Endless Web, John Dickinson & Co Ltd 1804-1954" (1955) was printed on paper made by the company. Second hand copies are easily located. 1953 advert from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Dickinson_and_Co under Creative Commons Attribution licence

totoro
Saturday 1st of November 2014 10:52:58 PM