SAW028313 SCOTLAND (1950). Barclay, Curle and Co, Ltd, north British Diesel Engine Works, Whiteinch, Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland, 1950. An oblique aerial photograph taken facing north. This image has been produced from a crop marked negative.

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2022. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (13)

SAW022917
  0° 0m
SAW028312
  0° 0m
SAW028313
  0° 0m
SAW028314
  0° 0m
SAW028315
  0° 0m
SAW028317
  0° 0m
SAW028310
  46° 101m
SAW028311
  46° 101m
SAW028316
  46° 101m
SAW022918
  215° 240m
SAW022919
  215° 240m
SAW022922
  215° 240m
SAW022924
  215° 240m

Details

Title [SAW028313] Barclay, Curle and Co, Ltd, north British Diesel Engine Works, Whiteinch, Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland, 1950. An oblique aerial photograph taken facing north. This image has been produced from a crop marked negative.
Reference SAW028313
Date 1950
Link Canmore Collection item 1451949
Place name
Parish GOVAN (CITY OF GLASGOW)
District CITY OF GLASGOW
Country SCOTLAND
Easting / Northing 253341, 666845
Longitude / Latitude -4.344272809273, 55.872445511296
National Grid Reference NS533668

Pins

The RMS Ascania (1923-1956). On 24 August 1939, she was taken into naval service and converted into an Armed Merchant Cruiser. Armed with 8 x 6-inch (152mm) and 2 x 3-inch (76mm) naval guns, she became HMS Ascania with the pennant number F68. She sailed with the Halifax Escort Force and later with the North Atlantic Escort Force on convoy protection duty. From November 1941 to September 1942 she deployed to the New Zealand station. In October 1942, she was returned to the UK and was employed as a Troopship by the Ministry of War Transport. The following year, Ascania was modified into a Landing Ship Infantry and took part in the Invasion of Sicily in 1943, and the Anzio Landings and landings in the south of France in 1944.

Billy Turner
Thursday 12th of December 2019 01:15:51 AM