Report content as inappropriate

Original Text (Annotation: EAW007284 / 1394247)

' Cliffe Fort, built between 1861 and 1870 as part of the outer Thames defences against sea-bourne attack; this fort linked with Coalhouse Fort on the other side of the river in Essex, and Shornemead Fort, a mile or so up stream in Kent. The Fort was armed with two 12.5ins, nine 11ins and two 9ins guns: all were rifled muzzle loaders (RML). This was less than originally envisaged as the soft ground was causing the building to crack. Towards the end of the 19th Century, two launch ramps for Brennan torpedoes were installed, however these were taken out of service by about 1905. During WW1, two 6ins breech loading Mk VII guns were mounted on the roof, these were replaced by four quick firing guns towards the end of the War. The fort was disarmed in 1927. During WW2, two 4ins anti aircraft guns were mounted on the roof. '