About the group A focal point for gathering images and details in connection with the Royal Hospital Chelsea and its environs.
Created 27 June 2012
Another photo of Chelsea Flower show 1932
Chelsea flower show 1932 as always held in Royal Hospital
View from South of the river showing the alignment of Ranelagh gardens in the East of the Royal Hospital to the old victorian Chelsea barracks.
A good orientation view. The Royal Hospital is in the lower right quadrant.
The Duke of York's Headquarters and one time Military Asylum for Soldiers Children (a school!)now the Saatchi Gallery and assorted condominiums and private schools. The Royal Hospital is the large grassed area (Burton Court) seen in the lower right quadrant.
A very good orientation view from the West, showing the Royal Hospital in the lower right quadrant. It brings into perspective just how much London expanded and grew out to meet the Hospital which when it was opened in 1692 was in the middle of fields and the Pensioners used to patrol the road out to Westminster!
The curved roof of Sloane Square underground station is clearly visible in the picture and only a few minutes walk from the R|oyal hospital was the starting point for many an expedition by the "Gentlemen in Scarlet" over the last century!
Although a view of Belgravia and Westminster beyond Chelsea, the Royal Hospital is clearly visible in the lower left quadrant. Of particular note are the many buildings that were on Burton Court and also formed part of the Army Pensions Office early in the 20th Century. Compare with the view in 1928 where these have all disappeared and the grounds reinstated to grass with a flat roofed sports pavilion in place.
General view from the North East, visible at centre left is the twin blocked building that housed part of the Army Pensions Office until the 1950s and since then has been the site of the Infirmary, that replaced the old Soane one in the West side of the estate.
A good general view of the Royal Hospital taken from the South, clearly showing at centre left the old Soane Infimary that was destroyed by bombing during the second world war.