About the group Any pictures or information on Scottish Power Stations or Electricity Works, can you identify any unmarked sites on any photo.
Created 17 July 2012
Campbeltown Power Station built by the Campbeltown & Mid-Argyll Electric Supply Co Ltd
Current Owner/ Owner at Close: NSHEB
Gen Start Date: 1935
Gen Stop Date: 1963
Station Size MW: 3.74
Arbroath Power Station buildt by the Grampian Electric Supply Company
Current Owner/ Owner at Close: NSHEB
Gen Start Date: 1908
Gen Stop Date: >1952
Station Size MW: 7.25
Braehead Power Station under construction, Yoker Power Station also visible
Built by the Scottish Central Electrical Power Co, opened in 1905, later became part of 132KV Central Scotland Grid, the station was latterly operated by SSEB and was closed in 1973 with demolition following in 1976, at its largest size, the station could generate 70MW.
Built by the Edinburgh Corporation Electricity Department, opened in 1923 and became part of 132KV Central Scotland Grid, the station was latterly operated by SSEB and was closed in 1975 with demolition following in 1981, at its largest size, the station could generate 146MW.
Pitlochry hydro-electric power 15MW built by the NSHEB and completed in 1951 as part of the Tummel Hydro-Electric Power Scheme
Stannergate Power Station also known as Caroline Port A, built by Dundee Corporation, opened 1909, taken over by the NSHEB in 1947, closed in 1960s?. Caroline Port B was built adjacent to this site.
Cow Wynd, Station Rd
This station was built in 1901 By Falkirk Town Council to provide a public supply, but also to provide current for an electric tramway system, opened in stages between 1901 and 1905. Taken over BEA when nationalised in 1947 and closed by SSEB in the 1970s. Largest size 7.5MW
Montrose Electricity Works opened by the Angus Electric Light & Power Co Ltd in 1901
Dudhope Crescent Rd Power Station Electricity Works, built in 1893 by the Dundee Corporation
Blackhall Power Station Electricity Works built in 1899 by the Paisley Corporation, closed in 1930
Bo'ness Power Station Electricity Works, built by the National Electric Wiring Co Ltd and opened in 1905
Kirkcaldy Tramway Power Station Electricity Works built by the Kirkcaldy Corporation Tramways in 1902
Friarton, the Shore, Perth Power Station Electricity Works, built by the Perth Corporation in1901 and extended in 1905 for the tramway. Largest total capacity 3MW
Broughty Ferry Power Station Electricity Works built by the Broughty Ferry Town Council in 1902
Milburn St Power Station, Electricity Works at Dee Village, also referred to as Ferryhill Power Station, built by the Aberdeen Corporation and opened in 1901, expanded several times, taken over by the NSHEB and eventually closed in 1969, largest generating capacity 57.25MW.
Grangemouth Docks Caledonian Railway Company, Power Station Electricity Works opened in 1884
Rothesay Dock was the first dock in the United Kingdom to be equipped entirely with electric machinery. The power station consisted of an engine house, a boiler house and a condensing plant house. Built by the Clyde Trust in 1907
Ayr Mill St Power Station Electricity Works built by the Ayr Corporation in 1896, was extended in 1901 to cope with the additional demand required for the tramways. The Ayrshire Electricity Board was set up in 15/05/23, soon after a new 20kv overhead line was constructed from the large Kilmarnock power station and the Ayr station closed
Greenholm St Power Station Electricity Works, built by the Kilmarnock Corporation in 1904 it was taken over by the Ayrshire Electricity Board and substantially enlarged in the 1920s. In 1932 became a base-load station for the National Grid, it was taken over by the SSEB and finaly closed in 1976. It's largest capacity was 85MW, demolition was complete by 1979
Dalmarnock Power Station Electricity Works, Opened 1920 by Glasgow Corporation Electricity Department, Work started in 1914 but was suspended after a year in 1915 because of WW1 but was started again before the end of the war. Dalmarnock Power Station was eventually commissioned in two stages, in 1920 and 1926, with various extensions in later years. Closed 1977 by South of Scotland Electricity Board, Largest size 237.5MW
John St Power Station, Electricity Works built by Muir, Mavor & Coulson Ltd in 1888, taken over by Glasgow Corporation Electricity Department in August 1893, closed when street lighting was altered so it could be supplied from Waterloo St
Waterloo St Power Station, Electricity Works built by the Glasgow Corporation, offical opening 22/04/1893, closed 1903. The picture shows extensive modifications and an extra floor being added, building was used by the Glasgow Corporation Electricity dept, SSEB and Scottish Power before being converted into a hotel.
Alloa electricity power station built by Alloa Council in 1924
Brechin Power Station, built by the Angus Electric Light & Power Co Ltd in 1901
Dumfries Leafield Rd Power Station
Yoker Power Station, built by the Clyde Valley Electrical Power Company, opened 1905, extended several times up to 1939 (visible is the 1929 extension being built, which contained 6 boilers and No6 turbine), closed 1976 and demolished in the 1978. Largest total capacity 100MW.
Clyde's Mill Power Station, built by the Clyde Valley Electrical Power Company, opened 1916, extended several times up to 1955, closed in 1978 and demolished in 1980. Largest total capacity 277MW.
Separate 55 MW gas turbine station to the west built in 1965 closed in 1985 and demolished in 2000.
Motherwell Leven St Power Station, built by the Clyde Valley Electrical Power Company, opened 1906 extended 1912, closed 1932 and demolished in the 1970’s. Largest total capacity 18MW.
Govan Helen St Electricity works
Govan Helen St Electricity works visible middle right