EPW056337 ENGLAND (1938). The High Street, Harefield, 1938

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Details

Title [EPW056337] The High Street, Harefield, 1938
Reference EPW056337
Date 5-February-1938
Link
Place name HAREFIELD
Parish
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 505175, 190460
Longitude / Latitude -0.48118715363818, 51.602674294853
National Grid Reference TQ052905

Pins

Site of 92 Dovedale Close

Paul Gleave
Wednesday 5th of July 2017 11:38:00 AM
Blacksmith's forge. Over the years much but a stable block has disappeared. For some years, and against much local opposition, Tesco wished to build a small store on the site. By the time that they had acquired the site, the company's fortunes had changed and the plan is no longer being pursued.

The Laird
Sunday 6th of March 2016 01:48:18 PM
The old Harefield Police Station The building was demolished and a small block of flats for married officers was built on the site. The building has the appearance of a 1950s build and has in more recent years been sold on to the private market. For a short period during the early 1990s a temporary 'portakabin' police office was sited in the grounds. This was later replaced by the leasing of the refurbished gate lodge building across the road, at the entrance to Harefield Hospital. This has also been relinquished and there is now no longer any police presence in the village.

The Laird
Sunday 6th of March 2016 01:28:42 PM
Wesleyan (Methodist) Chapel (1864) and adjoining Sunday school building. Demolished.

The Laird
Sunday 6th of March 2016 01:26:35 PM
Harefield Baptist Chapel, built 1834

c145hoo
Sunday 31st of August 2014 02:36:10 PM
Newdigate Road, formerly Park Terrace

c145hoo
Sunday 31st of August 2014 02:09:09 PM
The Memorial Hall, Chapel End (no longer exists)

c145hoo
Sunday 31st of August 2014 02:06:12 PM
Prince of Wales pub (aka Smokey Joes). Around 1970 it closed as a pub but became a small hotel. It later became appartments

Davmar
Saturday 7th of June 2014 09:35:00 AM
Kings Head pub, know known as The Harefield

Davmar
Saturday 7th of June 2014 09:31:14 AM
I remember it being called "Desperate Dan's" at one stage, for a period in the '90s.

The Laird
Sunday 6th of March 2016 03:05:31 PM
This area was occupied by a three storey laboratory building. There were also various out-buildings e.g. workshops etc.

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 03:06:15 PM
Carriage House for Harefield House. When the Harefield House site was acquired for the Aeronautical Inspection Directorate, the Carriage House became the Social Club.

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 03:03:47 PM

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 01:50:49 PM
Site of Dovetail Close estate

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 01:49:41 PM
Sorry - This should read DOVEDALE Close

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 02:21:02 PM

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 01:48:05 PM
Entrance to Merle Avenue

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 01:47:02 PM
Infant and Junior schools

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 01:25:40 PM
Harefield Hospital

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 01:23:13 PM
Vernon Drive estate

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 01:22:04 PM
Swan public house

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 01:20:56 PM
Mines Royal public house

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 01:19:27 PM
Kings Arms public house

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 01:17:36 PM
Former vicarage. Now the site of Harland Court, named after a long term occupant of the vicarage

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 01:16:07 PM
Harefield House - The house and grounds were later acquired by the government and became the Aeronautical Inspection Directorate

Davmar
Sunday 1st of June 2014 01:13:30 PM
After the AID moved away, the unused house and buildings were often used for television and film location work. Much of the earlier episodes of the television detective drama 'Inspector Morse' that weren't shot in the Oxford area, used locations in Ealing, Harrow and at Harefield House.



Presumably to commemorate the association, the road names of a housing development later built on the site were given names connected with the series: Morse Close, Lewis Close, Dexter Road and Childs Avenue.

The Laird
Sunday 6th of March 2016 11:05:12 AM