EPW029351 ENGLAND (1929). The Green, St Michael's Church and the village, Aldbourne, 1929

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2021. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (6)

EPW029351
  0° 0m
EPW029354
  211° 61m
EPW029353
  130° 82m
EPW029352
  191° 106m
EPW029350
  301° 125m
EPW029355
  346° 166m

Details

Title [EPW029351] The Green, St Michael's Church and the village, Aldbourne, 1929
Reference EPW029351
Date September-1929
Link
Place name ALDBOURNE
Parish ALDBOURNE
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 426455, 175684
Longitude / Latitude -1.6190117850014, 51.479008498119
National Grid Reference SU265757

Pins

Illustrated in 'English Downland' (1936) - The Crown Hotel

MB
Saturday 4th of May 2013 11:44:56 AM

User Comment Contributions

'Albourne, which lies between the Lambourn Downs to the east and the Marlborough Downs to the west, is the truest downland village of them all .. [it] rests between some of the grandest hill-country in Wiltshire ..' Massingham, op cit.

MB
Saturday 4th of May 2013 11:56:10 AM
'Aldbourne, cushioned in by elm and beech .. umber roofed from afar, white among its airy, many-cornered streets .. its building materials are of flint and "clunch" or chalk blocks cut from the harder seams of sarsen stones and of thatch ..'

H. J. Massingham, English Downland, B. T. Batsford, 1936, 21



Massingham adds '.. The cottage roofing is mainly thatch or red tiles whose warm tones perfectly with the earth-browns of the thatch, together with the mass-produced blue slating, which many feel to be much too abundant in the chalk lands ..'

MB
Saturday 4th of May 2013 11:52:09 AM