EPW016643 ENGLAND (1926). Hadleigh Castle, Hadleigh, 1926

© Copyright OpenStreetMap contributors and licensed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2019. Cartography is licensed as CC BY-SA.

Nearby Images (5)

EPW016643
  0° 0m
EPW024916
  96° 17m
EPW024915
  97° 31m
EPW024917
  110° 31m
EPW032907
  74° 58m

Details

Title [EPW016643] Hadleigh Castle, Hadleigh, 1926
Reference EPW016643
Date August-1926
Link
Place name HADLEIGH
Parish
District
Country ENGLAND
Easting / Northing 580982, 186042
Longitude / Latitude 0.61028408458701, 51.543731832515
National Grid Reference TQ810860

Pins


totoro
Saturday 14th of February 2015 12:26:39 PM
The Citadel (Salvation Army)

totoro
Saturday 14th of February 2015 12:26:17 PM
The halls were in this area

totoro
Saturday 14th of February 2015 12:24:19 PM
Site of stables

totoro
Saturday 14th of February 2015 12:23:32 PM

totoro
Saturday 14th of February 2015 12:23:04 PM
High Tower remains

totoro
Saturday 14th of February 2015 12:21:43 PM
Hadleigh Castle 1 Castle Lane Benfleet SS7 2AP Grade 1 listed building - English Heritage Building ID: 116824 Open to the public. Built on a geologically unstable hill of London clay, the castle has often been subject to subsidence; this, combined with the sale of its stonework in the 16th century, has led to it now being ruined. The remains are now preserved by English Heritage. The exact date of construction is uncertain, probably circa 1230. In the 13th century, marshlands would have stretched away to the south of the castle, with the tide occasionally reaching up as far as the base of the hill itself, and the area would have been more wooded than today. The first castle built on the site was probably of an octagonal design. By the 1250s, the castle had fallen into neglect and, despite some investment after it was given to Queen Eleanor in 1273, it remained in relatively poor condition. Only the mill, vital for the operation of the wider estate, appears to have been well-maintained. A new 17-metre-wide by 9-metre-long (56 foot by 30 foot) hall and an adjacent solar complex were built at the castle around 1290, but collapsed due to subsidence shortly afterwards. In 1299 the castle was given to Queen Margaret, who complained about the quality of the building. Edward III in the 1360s decided to make much greater use of the property, ordering large parts of it to be rebuilt. Bought by Lord Richard Rich from Edward VI in 1551. Rich dismantled the castle for the value of its stone, primarily between 1551 and 1575, and the castle, now thoroughly ruined, passed through Rich's descendants. William Booth purchased Hadleigh Castle and its surrounding site in 1891 for the use of the Salvation Army, which established a farm to train the English poor prior to them being sent overseas to the British colonies. Considerable subsidence and slippage on the ridge occurred between 1898 and 1923, causing a collapse of the southern curtain wall. The Salvation Army gave the castle to the Ministry of Works in 1948, and it is now owned by English Heritage. The castle is still surrounded by the 19th-century Salvation Army farm, and beyond that by Hadleigh Country Park Subsidence and landslips have continued; the north-east tower largely collapsed in the 1950s, and further major slippages occurred in 1969, 1970, and 2002. One of the three-storey towers at the eastern side stands to nearly full height with narrow rectangular windows in the upper levels. The second tower has only about one-third of its original form. Some sections of the curtain wall have survived, as well as the foundations of the great hall, solars, and the kitchen. Sources: http://www.hadleighcastle.co.uk/ wikipedia: [[Hadleigh Castle]]

totoro
Saturday 14th of February 2015 12:20:47 PM

User Comment Contributions

Hadleigh Castle

Robert - Cumbria
Wednesday 27th of June 2012 05:56:03 PM