SAW009334 SCOTLAND (1947). Gilnockie Tower, Hollows. An oblique aerial photograph taken facing south.

© Hawlfraint cyfranwyr OpenStreetMap a thrwyddedwyd gan yr OpenStreetMap Foundation. 2020. Trwyddedir y gartograffeg fel CC BY-SA.

Delweddau cyfagos (3)

SAW009332
  0° 0m
SAW009333
  0° 0m
SAW009334
  0° 0m

Manylion

Pennawd [SAW009334] Gilnockie Tower, Hollows. An oblique aerial photograph taken facing south.
Cyfeirnod SAW009334
Dyddiad 1947
Dolen Canmore Collection item 1268587
Enw lle
Plwyf CANONBIE
Ardal ANNANDALE AND ESKDALE
Gwlad SCOTLAND
Dwyreiniad / Gogleddiad 338231, 578559
Hydred / Lledred -2.9680745291283, 55.097541138175
Cyfeirnod Grid Cenedlaethol NY382786

Pinnau

In 1978, the tower was a roofless ruin, when it was bought by Major T.C.R. Armstrong-Wilson, who undertook a full restoration. It was re-roofed, and floors were reconstructed at four levels. Authentic oak doors were fitted to all rooms. The interior was plastered out, and electricity and water taken in to the building. The tower is a Category A listed building, and all work was carried out in consultation with the Scottish Development Department (Ancient Monuments). The tower now houses the Clan Armstrong centre.

Billy Turner
Saturday 2nd of July 2016 05:07:31 PM

Cyfraniadau Grŵp

Tower houses can be found across the Scottish Borders. Built to protect against the violence of cross-border strife and inter-family feuding, a tower house was a permanently occupied, fortified residence. Built from the mid-14th to the 17th century, they are rectilinear in plan, often with one or more additional wings, and provide accommodation on several storeys.

Brian Wilkinson
Tuesday 17th of September 2013 01:20:58 PM