Gair am y grŵp How many have you played?
Wedi ei greu 26 Mehefin 2012
Much has been developed around the course since 1928
A forgotten Harry Colt designed classic. Years of basic Council management has taken its toll on what is a most beautiful golf course. Sadly now there are more dog walkers than golfers. A real shame.
North Berwick West Links golf Course.
North Berwick Golf Club was founded in 1832.
Rhos-on-Sea Golf Club on the spectacular region of the North Wales coast. Established in 1899.
Chingford Golf Club is the oldest course in Essex, dating back to 1886 and believed to be designed by James Braid. Royal Epping Forest Golf Club was founded in 1888.
This is a public course, situated on common land, which has been managed by the Corporation of London for over 120 years.
In line with a requirement going back into the nineteenth century, golfers on this course and other courses owned by the Corporation must wear red. The Pro Shops offer plenty of choice in red golfing wear!
Prestwick Golf Club was founded in 1851 by a group of 57 members who met at the Red Lion Inn. Tom Morris with his wife Agnes and son young Tommy was brought to Prestwick from St. Andrews, to be the Keeper of the Green, Ball and Club Maker. Prestwick staged the first Open Championship in 1860, which was won by Willie Park.
Lochmaben Golf Club was founded in 1926 (note just 3 years before the photo) and the original 9 holes were designed by James Braid, the five times Open Champion. It was not until 1956 that the greens were fenced off to keep the sheep off them!
Members had long nurtured a dream of extending the course to 18 holes. This was finally achieved with the official opening of the new course in 1995.
Royal Troon Golf Course - established 1878
The first official golf club was founded in 1842, playing over ten holes. Old Tom Morris extended the links to 18 holes in 1857 and the last major revision was undertaken by James Braid in 1926.
Golf was first introduced to Woodhall Spa in 1890. However, the course had to be moved and in 1902 local landowner and prominent member, Stafford Vere Hotchkin, offered a sandy tract of land for the building of an 18 hole course (this is the site where the course remains today). Harry Vardon was employed to design the course and he visited Woodhall Spa on 24th January 1903. The course was formally opened for play on 24th April 1905.
I have played here for the last eight years - the best inland links course in the UK !
Archibald Kennedy, the Third Marquess of Ailsa, owned Turnberry's 76,000 acres. It wasn't until 1896 that Lord Ailsa, a keen golfer and an active member of the South-Western Railway board, saw the financial opportunity of building a course at Turnberry and a train line from Ayr to Maidens, Turnberry and Girvan.
Muirfield is the home of the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, founded in 1744.
The course was completed in 1891 and the Clubhouse was built at a cost of £1,574.
The Gleneagles Hotel's Grand Opening Gala was on 7 June 1924. However,the King's and Queen's courses, created out of a wilderness using manual labour, pick and shovel, horse and cart, were ready much earlier than the hotel and began to make their name between 1918 and 1924.
A beautiful setting for a golf course.
In 1902 the "New Manor Golf Club Ashford Company" was formed.
The course was laid out in 1904 and is a superb mature, hilly parkland course. Note further plantings have taken place since 1920. Highgate Golf Club, the closest 18 hole course to central London, is one of 'golf in the city's' best kept secrets. Note the clubhouse, rebuilt recently is still on the original site.
I was fortunate to play there in 2011.
The Club was formed in 1891 with only nine holes. Subsequently, further land was leased in 1895 and the original nine holes abandoned when the clubhouse and 18 holes were built. The club received its greatest honour in 1909, when it was bestowed the rare privilege to use the prefix “Royal”
The Royal Cromer Golf Club was founded in 1888 and immediately attained royal status through the patronage of the Prince of Wales, later to become King Edward VII.
The Grand Hotel was built in 1889. Of course, due to the continual erosion, much of the original golf course has been lost to the sea and the course extended on land to the west.
St Andrews -the home of golf
There are very few trees and few houses to the right of the 1st hole. However, the clubhouse has changed little!