Gair am y grŵp Birmingham Memories photos past/present to show and comment on - please feel free to join in !
Wedi ei greu 26 Mehefin 2012
Steelhouse lane, Loveday Street, St Marys Row, Whittal Street,
Opposite view 1932.
Steelhouse Lane General Hospital 1897.
Next to General Hospital, Loveday Street Birmingham
maternity hospital nurses hostel on the left c1953.
St Mary's Row, viewed from its junction with Whittal Street
Salford Junction (spaghetti junction)
1972 The men who built Spaghetti Junction.
1971 Spaghetti Junction. Work started in 1968 and took four years to complete.
1924 Salford Bridge looking towards Gravelly Hill. The present bridge was opened in 1926.
Another view from above.
High street Digbeth/deritend 1953.
The Hall Of Memory
On the 12th June 1923, The Prince of Wales laid the foundation stone. He said that the building would stand to "symbolise to generations to come that Birmingham stood for, during a period of great national crisis - work of every kind unflinchingly given, compassion to the sick and wounded, courage and resource in adversity, and, above all, self-sacrifice in the face of death."
The Hall of Memory was opened by H.R.H. Prince Arthur of Connaught on 4th July 1925. Built of Portland Stone, and constructed almost entirely by Birmingham craftsmen, it cost £60,000 raised solely through public donations.
The Hall of Memory was opened by H.R.H. Prince Arthur of Connaught on 4th July 1925
Another view from above c.1930
Victoria Square 1910
August 1914 Victoria Square - Leaving for battlefront.
I wonder how many came home.
"Galloways corner" as it was locally known after the large
photographic shop junction of Colmore Row and New Street.
1948- Galloways corner looking down New Street.
August 1914 Victoria Square - Off to war
8th Feb 1952 Victoria Square - Proclamation of Elizabeth II
as the new Queen.
Originally named the Aston Union workhouse, although it has
been renamed over the years to Erdington House 1912 following
the city boundary changes, Highcroft Hall Hospital (1942)
and was more commonly referred to in later years as just
Over the years, the hospital has generally provided care for
the mentally ill. In 1994, the hospital became part of the
Northern Birmingham Mental Health NHS Trust. During the
following two years, the facilities were gradually rehoused
in more modern units nearby and in 1996, the building was
The site was derelict for the subsequent eight years,
before being refurbished by property developers in 2004-2006.
Cottage Homes trip to Rhyl. Notice bottom left speed 12 mph.
1961 to Rhyl
Somewhere in Birmingham any ideas?
The Church of the Messiah built over canal Broad Street