Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Adrodd fel Amhriodol


Testun Gwreiddiol (Anodiad: EPW038116 / 1473933)

' Leeds Castle Grade 1 listed building. To the west of the main island- the ruins of the Barbican and Dam are separately Grade 1 listed. Two out of three barbicans survive and incorporate a C13 mill. In the 1949 Ealing comedy "Kind Hearts and Coronets", the castle was "Chalfont" Open to the public for a fee. The current castle is mostly 19th Century (completed 1823) but there has been a castle on the site since 1119. 12th C, alterations C13,14,15,16 partly rebuilt 1822. Moat dates to before 1272. In 1974 the last private owner (owner 1926-1974) died and left the estate to a trust to maintain the castle. The island site has: Main Castle; Gloriette on small NE island connected by 1822 bridge; Maidens Tower- 2 story rectangular, originally C14 altered C18.; Gatehouse- originally C12 altered C13 and 14. Accomodation available- bed and breakfast, camping and holiday cottages. Currently home of a dog collar museum, a maze, a shell grotto and a golf course. Grade 2* Park laid out 1822-1825. The ornamental gardens are C20. Entrance lodges Grade 2 are 1920s. '